This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How do you upgrade a network installation?

3 replies to this topic

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 15:18

Hello,

We have a setup that offers users the option of running the product from source. This is implemented with the Installscript:

MsiSetProperty(ISMSI_HANDLE,"ADDSOURCE","Client");

The user just gets an icon on their desktop and I think MDAC is installed locally, but the rest of the stuff is run over a network.

I am currently experimenting with patching our product - to implement a minor upgrade. When I run the patch on an installation that is "run from source", it converts it to being run locally. This is consistent with the documentation.

I have also tried overwriting the setup files on the server, and this works - but this cannot be relied on as it does not upgrade any registry entries on the client.

Can anyone advise how you would upgrade this sort of installation? Do you use a major upgrade? If so, does this have to be run on each client?

Regards,

Paul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:05

Interesting problem, never tried it. I assume you could advertise a new version of the application and then have the user invoke the installation on the local system by double clicking the shortcut.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 14:51

Forget that previous post, I don't think it will work.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:01

A setup, even when all components are marked "run from source", must be executed on every client. It's not just for registry keys being installed, but also for MSI housekeeping. However, you don't have to be at the client system itself: other deployment methods exist, eg. Group Policies on Windows 2000 domains, but also scripts for remote installation.

BTW I don't recommend overwriting existing setups: clients that still use the older version, cannot repair their installations. And what if the uninstall of the older version got a problem in certain situations, and starts asking for the original source?