This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Showing scrollable results to user

3 replies to this topic

natshack

natshack
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 16:49

I need to show Results to the user after an install.  The text needs to be set dynamically during the install.  

I tried using an Edit field with a Property that is set in a custom action, but get an error saying the edit field can only accept 512 characters (my results list is rather long).

I tried using a Text field associated with a Property as above, but there doesn't seem to be a way to add a scrollbar so the user can see all the text (once again, it's rather long)

It seems the best control would be a Scrollable Text control, but ISD7 wants you to statically link a rtf file (it fills in the Text property when compiled) and you can't associate the control with a Property (is this true?).

Does anybody know how I can show a long list of results to the user after the install?  I don't want to use a ListBox because I want the user to be able to Copy/Paste the data if desired.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 19:43

If you are talking about a Basic MSI project: You would have to add the respective row to the msi database  at runtime. The Text column must be filled with the text to display (doesn't resolve properties), and the text must be in RTF (!) format.
You may want to use a standard project type instead, or save the text to an ascii file and launch notepad in a custom action.

natshack

natshack
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 21:10

Thanks for your reply.  I do have a Basic MSI project.  I tried changing the Text column of the control at runtime (through an InstallScript custom action), using an UPDATE SQL statement, but I get a "Function Failed" error on MsiViewExecute.  I read something in the help about being unable to change the actual MSI database stored on disk while inside an installation, so this may be the problem.

Anyway, I'm going ahead and creating a text file and opening it with Notepad as a workaround.  Thanks for your help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 15:40

You can add temporary rows. You have to use the word TEMPORARY in your SQL statement.