This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

module id

2 replies to this topic

DeusApprime

DeusApprime
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 14:12

Hi, I'm trying to retreive the "module ID" information from a merge module, using the ISWI automation interface. I couldn't find any documentation on it in InstallShield. It doesn't look like the module ID is in the final MSI package (I checked with ORCA), so it's not exactly an MSI issue - so I'm assuming that it stays "behind" in the ISM file.

Any ideas?

EricGentry

EricGentry
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 01:49

Deus,

I am attempting the exact same thing.  I would like to write this property using the automation interface.  I have asked InstallShield, and they replied that the automation interface is documented in help (duh!).

Anyway, I can export the *.ism to *.isv, and the ModuleID is readable in this format.  I can then read it in or write it out and then convert back to *.ism, but that is quite cumbersome.  I also would like a more definitive way of changing this.

I know this is not really helpful, but I am going to watch this thread for other posts!

Thanks,

Eric Gentry

DeusApprime

DeusApprime
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 13:28

The only problem with your idea is that you can't export the project file automatically to another format. I've found a different way (also cumbersome): I build the package, then I export the component table using MSIDB.EXE. I then extract the module ID from the first component record using GNU's AWK utility. That's a suitable solution for me, since I really needed the module ID as an environment variable in the first place.