This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall then new install

3 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 18:01

i'm looking to first completely uninstall the current version and then immediately install a new version without any interaction from the user. any ideas?

currently i'm using OnMaintUIBefore and ONMainUIAfter to figure out whether or not a previous version has been installed and uninstalling it. but how can i start the install process to place the new files onto the machine.

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 22:18

Hey Don,

It's been awhile.  You could detect the application through the RegLocator table and then set a property using the AppSearch table.  You could then fire off a custom action prior to the UI that runs the MsiExec commandline uninstall for the older product based on the property being set for the older value.

Would that help

Kurt Schneider

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 10:22

I would suggest a Major Upgrade with the RemoveExistingProducts action in an early position.  (Immediately after InstallValidate in the Execute Sequence is the earlist allowed).  This is documented as entirely removing the old product before installing the new product, which is what was asked for.

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 20:17

this is what i'm trying...

i've created a CA in vbscript that checks for the previous version and launches the uninstall "IDriver /m{guid}" which works great to uninstall the prevoius version. the problem i'm encountering is, as far as i can tell, (1) the execute sequence either is only used during straight install (not maintanence install) or (2) maintanence mode does not fire CA's.

does anyone know where / when maintanence mode is chosen?

i can make maintanence mode look like a first time install by making OnMaintUIBefore look like OnFirstUIBefore but once uninstall has taken place i cant make the new install fire.

btw... i'm using IS 7.02.