This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent install question

5 replies to this topic

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 20:44

I need to be able to make a silent install for our automated tests. MSIs are perfect for that. The thing that I need to do now is be able to have some way to select certain features during a silent install. What would be the best way to go about this?

I've thought about creating a property for each installable feature and specify the ones that I want on the command line (ie. CONFIGUTIL=1 DISPLAYUTIL=1 etc...). Then I'd make a custom action in the Installation sequence to use the AddLocal and select the appropriate features.

I've also thought about creating an XML file and create an element for each one that I want. Then I'd use the System Search to check for the existance of certain elements. From here it's about the same as the other idea... Install sequence, addlocal, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone done this before? Does InstallShield or Windows installer provide a way to do this?

-- spdygnlz --

MrSmersh

MrSmersh
  • Full Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:54

To use a response file would it be out of question?
You want something more elaborate?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 13:16

You can do it using command line parameters:

msiexec.exe /i your.msi /q ADDLOCAL=Feature1,Feature3 REMOVE=Feature2

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 17:07

Wow. It's SO Easy! Didn't realize you could do that Stefan. Thanks! MrSmersh, what do you mean by a response file?

-- spdygnlz --

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 23:37

Just figured out what you were talking about. Apparently Response Files don't work with Basic MSI projects.

-- spdygnlz --

MrSmersh

MrSmersh
  • Full Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 14:04

You have caught me...
On msi I do not have response files.
I should have checked before posting
Mea Culpa! X3