This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to downgrade the VB Virtual Machine DLL ??

4 replies to this topic

calenkl

calenkl
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 10:11

i'm doing a project that must use MSVBVM60.DLL with version "6.0.84.95" (SP3 of VB Run time file).
i 've already got the Merge Module for it but one problem:
what if the client machine had had the higher version of this component >?
how can i delete the local one before replacing the one that i need during the Installation ??

thanx for any comments !!! :)

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 11:03

One the design aims of Windows Installer is to avoid DLL ####.  You should never ever downgrade any third party dll.  You will probably do your companies reputation a lot of harm by breaking other peoples working systems.

I do not know about VB but MS have a general policy of backward compatibility for components.  They do occasionally make mistakes.  You may find that a program designed for version .1234 will not work with version .2345 but will work with version..3456 after they have discovered the cockup.

The correct solution is for your application programmers to make the changes to your applications so they work properly wth contemporary systems.

calenkl

calenkl
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 02:21

Well, this SP3 must be used here merely becoz we r using a Framework for all the projects... and if we are trying to use vbruntime file other than this version, the framework will be corrupted and hang the system.

so, should i changed the whole thing ??? or i can have another alternatives ??

Thanx Ian anyway...!! :)

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 10:44

I do not know if it is possible with VB.  With the C framework libraries it is possible to link 'statically' so the DLL files are not used, and so have full control of the runtime objects at build time.

calenkl

calenkl
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 10:53

well, i dun think VB can make it....
:(