This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield Unisntall/upgrade

6 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 23:41

my scenario is this...

i'm switching to WIX and am attempting to upgrade over the previous version of the product installed with InstallShield.

this is what's happening.

previous version - product installed with installshield
new version - product installed with WIX

scenario 1: manually uninstall previous version, install new version separately.
the registry comes out clean and everything works fine.

scenario 2: install new version over old version.
WIX install detects previous install and attempts to uninstall and then install new version. some problems are occuring, not during install, but in the resulting state of the computer. there are old registry entries left behind and product doesn't work 100%.

in the old installshield install i had specific script to run regsvr32 to register and unregister DLL's. so... is this installscript still being run when the WIX install is upgrading (WIX is uninstalling the old version and installing the new one)? when WIX calls for an uninstall of the old version is the installscript being run? or is the uninstall of the old version being goverened by the old MSI only and not runing the installscript as well.
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:08

Is this a Major Upgrade?
Did you create the old version as "InstallScript MSI" project, or as "BAsic MSI" with some InstallScript custom actions? Are those regsvr actions in the Execute sequence?

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 16:58

Yes, this is a major upgrade.

the old version is an installscript MSI project with lots of non-default install script functions.

the regsvr actions are in the install script. i'm not sure which sequence the install script is placed in.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:30

That depends on the Event Handler in which you placed the regsvr calls.

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 18:42

i call regsrv32 /u in several places:

OnMaintUIBefore
OnMoving - if uninstall
OnEnd - if uninstall
OnCanceling

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 19:04

The UI function sin't called in this situation.
The others should run I think but InstallScript MSI and Major Upgrades is a tricky and buggy combination.
If nothing else helps you could add the regsvr call to the parent setup.

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 16:47

we ended up writing a bootstrapper that manually uninstalls the old version before installing the new one.

the install script is fully ran and the old version is completely uninstalled. then our new version can be installed without any additional code to make up the difference.

that way we can make a clean break from installshield.