This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Simple Upgrade question?

1 reply to this topic

ashwin

ashwin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:59

Hi,

The following is my upgrade scenario:

I have an MSI package that installs a set of feature and its components. I need to create a new MSI package that has a new component (DLL) that needs to be added to the existing feature. The new MSI package also has few fixes to the older components (DLL’s). I want the new MSI package to display an option asking the user, if he wants to update the product to the new version? What are the steps I need to take to achieve this functionality?

For example:

I have Product 1.0 installed and I have a package with version 1.1. If the user double clicks the on the new package with version 1.1, the installer should ask the user If he wants to upgrade.

If someone can guide me in the right direction, as to how to do this? I will be very grateful.

Thank you in advance
Ashwin.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:03

Are you using InstallShield?

If yes, then there are wizards available to help you and also, you will need to read up on the UpgradeTable.

Bascially, you need to populate the upgrade table, and this then sets a property when up upgrade.
You can then display different dialogs if you upgrade or not.