This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Small and Minor upgrades development

4 replies to this topic

MichaelU

MichaelU
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 17:22

Hello, all!
Please, help me in following standard task :
1) I need to develope an upgrade for my product (not patch)
2) In this product I change only some files (dll's), change Package GUID and ProductCode (as small upgrade)
3) Can I develope the correct package which will install the new version on fresh machine, upgrade previous version on machine with preinstalled my product, and show "Repair/Remove" dialog if new version already installed on target machine?
4) Can I do it without command line parameters (REINSTALL, REINSTALLMODE etc), can I set the values of these parameters inside my msi file as result of some conditional steps?

Thanks a million
Michael

MichaelU

MichaelU
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 19:58

Execuse me, in previous message a has a mistake :
I change not ProductCode but ProductVersion property!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 17:35

No, but you could set them in setup.ini if you start your setup with setup.exe (instead of double clicking the msi file)

MichaelU

MichaelU
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 19:51

Thanks, Stefan!
As I understand, you say "No" about the possibility to use Small and Minor upgrade technology without command line (for setup.exe and msiexec) parameters?
Yes, I know this approach, but if I want to distribute my upgrade on CD, and if I write these parameters to Setup.ini on CD I can't see the "Repair / Remove" dialog, for example, because these parameters always follow to full reinstall of my product...
I tried some attempts to resolve this problem today, and I saw, that the one way to create easy-to-use upgrade (without command line parameters) is using Major Upgrade technology (change the ProductCode).
Isn't it?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 16:15

Well you can change or undefine these properties inside your setup. If you do this before the first dialog that should work.
What you cannot do is set the "v" in REINSTALLMODE inside your package. v means: use the actual msi file that was launched, not the cached copy. If you don't do this "outside" of the file, the cached msi has been loaded before you can modify the property.
BTW the REINSTALL property doesn't have to be on the command line, only the REINSTALLMODE, so the easiest solution for you might be to set  just REINSTALLMODE=vomus in setup.ini.