This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Need to run setup more than just once on a system

3 replies to this topic

kerber

kerber
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:36

Hi folks,

I got the problem to setup an application (web and database) more than just once on a system. Does someone know how to "abuse" MSI to do this. I don not need a "Add/Remove Entry" or maintain anything.

Please help ;-)

Thanks a lot,

Klaus

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:47

Im not sure if this is what you mean but do you want to run an msi twice from the setup.exe?

If so, you should get a hold of the Windows Installer SDK and samples. This includes a sample setup.exe that you can complie and modify to run two installers.

Another idea woudl be to kick of a nested install but im not sure how this would work if you need to kick of the same install again...

kerber

kerber
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:09

I think that is not what I need.

My setup is installing a web application and a database.
So a single server may host more than one web application and more than one database.
I need to run the same setup several times without the maintainance screen.
I also do not need any entry in "Add/Remove programs"
For me it does not make any sense to uninstall a sql server database.
This should be done by a db admin.

Some one knows how to solve this???

Thanks Klaus

kerber

kerber
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 07:39

Hi folks,

someone from InstallShield gave me a hint. I did not try it yet, but it seems as if it is the pice of information I needed.

This is a quote from the following page http://www.installsi.../en/msi/isd.htm

Disabling maintenance mode is done by adding the entry NoAddRemove=Y to Setup.ini and by setting the conditions for actions PublishProduct, PublishFeatures, and RegisterProduct to 0. This way, it will prevent both the MSI stuff and the IS stuff from being placed in the machine where the setup is run. The setup can then be run like an IS 5.x setup