This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dinamic build media management ("include in build"

1 reply to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 08:48

Hi to all,
I have a project with a lot of components. Some of these are not of "general interest" but they interest only few customer.
My present behavior is to build several package working on "include in build" component option.
This way is laborious and easy-to-fault, so I'm searching something different.
Any idea?

For example is possible forcing the media build procedure to read "include in build" option from an external source? For example a file.
That is, I create a component list for each customer (external file or inside the script) and the media build procedure bases on that to build.

Other ways:

1. I build as many media as I need within the same project, they will differ from each other only for the component selected.
Pro:  I'll no more need to work with "include in build" option, I'll do that just the first time
Cons: I'll have a lot of disk space occupied by that project...

2. I build an only media with all component and deliver that.
Install time some script code will drive only customer-need component installation, playing with ComponentSetData (szComponentSource, szComponent, COMPONENT_FIELD_SELECTED, FALSE, szData); as usaual I'll have to mantain a customer-component-list.
Cons: all customers will receive the same complete media also containing component the don't need).
The media has to differ from each other to give the installation procedure the information on the specific customer.

Thanks.
Ciao, Giuseppe

Ide Nentjes

Ide Nentjes
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:26

Hi Giuseppe,

Personally I'd go for option 1: different media. Yes; you'll take up extra disk space but harddisks are relatively cheap these days. The extra time you spend maintaining code and customer lists for the other methods also costs your employer money after all. I think this would be better spend on giving you the additional resources you need.

CU, Ide.