This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

FILESINUSE dialog (MsiProcessMessage) is not shown

3 replies to this topic

Tim Gladden

Tim Gladden
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:05

I have a dll custom action that queries a custom table for application names, searches for those applications and detects if they are running, and then populates a FilesInUse dialog from the InstallUISequence. This routine has been working well in our product installers for several revisions, and hasn't been touched for some time. We've been getting reports lately that it is no longer working, so after digging into it a little bit, I determined that it still works correctly on systems with MSI 2.0 and MSI 3.0.

It fails only on systems with MSI 3.1, and it always fails on those systems. In stepping through the function in a debugger for a failure case, I see that MsiProcessMessage returns 0. The log file contains these lines:

MSI © (90:94) [15:10:06:324]: GetWindowTitle: FilesInUse record has invalid ProcessID - Unexpected
MSI © (90:94) [15:10:06:324]: No window with title could be found for FilesInUse

The contents of the record passed to MsiProcessMessage are valid as far as I can tell, similar to: NULL, "myapp.exe", "MyApp Window Title"

Other than that, the code executes as I would expect. I'm really not sure how to proceed with this, and if anyone has any ideas about this I'd really appreciate the help.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:23

I've never paid that much attention to it but could it be that the WindowTitle is different for 3.1? Hence your code is looking for (say) "Files in use" whereas 3.1 might be returning (say) "These files are currently in use"...

Edited by VBScab, 23 March 2009 - 10:24.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:36

Have you tried running a validate on your msi file? Its possible something is configured incorrect on that.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:41

QUOTE (luke_s @ 2009-03-26 10:36)
Have you tried running a validate on your msi file? Its possible something is configured incorrect on that.

With respect, what difference would that make? Validation merely checks that the MSI conforms to certain conventions/standards. It makes no critique of Custom Action's functionality whatsoever.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.