This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ARP "click here for support information link"

5 replies to this topic

jgoeke

jgoeke
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 22:17

I'm having a problem where my setup will not repair when in the ARP then "click here for support information link" then repair button is used.

Now if I go into maintainence mode via the "change" button or just rerun setup, and select "repair" then the setup does indeed repair.

The issue I'm having is, I set my ReinstallModeText property to "amus" to force all files to be re-isntalled during a repair, yet this does not happen as described above.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance!
---JHG

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:02

I believe that ARP runs the repair in BasicUI mode, which means that the UI sequence is skipped, which I think in turn means that your ReinstallModeText will not be copied to the REINSTALLMODE property.

jgoeke

jgoeke
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 20:31

Would you consider this a bug in ARP, or in how InstallShield places data into ARP to run the repair? Do you know of a workaround?

Thanks!
---JHG

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:41

No, this is by design in ARP. You you want the full UI you can always go through the Modify button.
You could set REINSTALLMODE using a custom action inserted in the Execute sequence (and conditioned properly).
Note that amus is not recommended. 'a' will overwrite all files regardsless of versions. This may downgrade files, including shared files and system files, because it globally applies to the whole package, including any merge modules.

jgoeke

jgoeke
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 22:00

How can it be by design in ARP when the link is marked "repair", it should execute the msi in a "repair" reduced gui mode, not the "modify" mode? Is the launch command for the ARP "repair" somewhere in the registry? If so, should'nt I be able to "fix" it by changing the execution line to include property REINSTALLMODE=amus?

BTW, I'm well aware of the ramifications of 'a' in the REINSTALLMODE property.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 19:56

it should execute the msi in a "repair" reduced gui mode

I believe that's what it does.
Is the launch command for the ARP "repair" somewhere in the registry? If so, should'nt I be able to "fix" it by changing the execution line to include property REINSTALLMODE=amus?

No, but a custom action should be able to set REINSTALLMODE. This custom action must be placed in the InstallExecute sequence.