This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Copy Files from Install CD to INSTALLDIR

13 replies to this topic

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 00:05

I have created an install for my application that runs perfectly on all Windows platforms except Win2K. During the install I am coping two .DAT files that are different for each client. I have created a new component and used the Power Editor MoveFile option to move these files from the CD Rom that contains the build files to the INSTALLDIR.  This works on Win95-98, WinME machines but the files do not get moved under Win2K or WinNT, WinNT w/SP3. This seems like a ISWI bug or is there a switch that must be set for Win2K, NT?

80LPJ

80LPJ
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 01:24

You  probably want to check if you placed any version conditions.  Did you use Version9X or VersionNT in your condition settings (if any)?

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 18:19

The project has now version condition settings.
For my new component the default condition setting was blank, I have tried entering  “0 condition(s) and this makes no difference. Every thing else about this project installs and runs fine, just can’t move the 2 .dat files in Win2K or NT.

80LPJ

80LPJ
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 20:24

I support all three OSes, and ISWI seems to work just fine.  Here is a few things to check for:

Check the Product Properties in the General Information setup.  Did you setup the install condition correctly?  In my setup, I have zero conditions in this field.  

I resolve which files get installed in the features -condition settings.

I separate and group all the OS dependent files into features and put my conditions there.  For the Windows 98 features, I put the condition Version9X.  For Windows 2000 features, I put the condition VersionNT >= 500.   And finally, for Windows NT features, I put the condition WindowsNT.

Additionally, check for caps.  I got caught with this one once.  Instead of VersionNT>=500 in the Windows 2000 features, I accidentally typed versionNT>=500.  Drives me nuts sometimes.

Hope this helps,
80LPJ
ISWI User

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 00:32

I have been using this install without trouble until we decided to try to copy these files over from the CD. They are not part of the build itself, just burned onto the CD with the build files.

Product Properties in the General Information setup have 0 condition(s)

There are no files in my build that are OS dependent; all of the condition settings show zero conditions also.

Thanks for the caps reminder I’ve been caught with that one before also. Can’t find an error with these 2 MoveFile features though.

I have also tried setting the condition for the file component to;
Version9X OR VersionNT >=500 OR WindowsNT
The install still works fine with Win9X but the .dat files do not get moved in NT or 2K.

I’m using ISWI 1.52 with maintenace release 8-8-2000 if that provides a clue.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 13:14

What entries do you have in the MoveFiles table?

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 17:25

MoveFile Table entries are as follows;
FileKey (S32)
1st component: Copy CD-SYS1.DAT
2nd Component: Copy PFWS9999.DAT
Component_(S32)
1st: Move_CD_SYS1
2nd: Move_PFWS9999
SourceName (S255)
1st: CD-SYS1.DAT
2nd: PFWS9999.DAT
DestName (S255)
1st: CD-SYS1.DAT
2nd: PFWS9999.DAT
SourceFolder (S32)
1st: SourceDir
2nd: SourceDir
DestFolder (S32)
1st: INSTALLDIR
2nd: INSTALLDIR
Options (I2)
1st: 0
2nd: 0

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 21:27

FileKey may contain the ASCII characters A-Z (a-z), digits, underscores (_), or periods (.). However, it must begin with either a letter or an underscore. Blanks and dashes are not allowed in the FileKey column.

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 22:50

Hi Stefan, Thank you for you response and pointing out the error of my ways.
I renamed FileKey as follows;
CD_SYS1.DAT
and
PFWS9999.DAT respectively. The install still suceeds with Win9X but the files do not get copied in WinNT or 2K.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 12:56

Maybe try SOURCEDIR instead of SourceDir

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 22:30

Yes, I have tried this before and I just tried again. This change generates an Internal Error 2706.
I have also tried deleting the components we are working with and setting them up again. Still not copying.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 22:59

I'm out of ideas...

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 23:10

Thank you for tking your time to look at this issue.
Can  you provide any useful information about talking to Installshield Corp. About an issue like this?

MikeG

MikeG
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 19:20

After consulting with Installshield Corporation this is how we resolved the Move Files Issue For Win2K and NT.

1) Create a custom action without using the wizard. Use the following values for the properties of the action:
Type: 38
Source:
Target: Session.Property("MYPROPERTY") = Session.Property("SourceDir")
Set the name for the custom action using all caps, in this case we just used “MYPROPERTY”.

2) Insert this custom action into the Sequences table – Installation folder – User Interface after CostFinalize. Make sure that you also have the ResolveSource property before the “MYPROPERTY” custom action.

3) In the Power Editor MoveFile Table for the SourceFolder use this property “MYPROPERTY” instead of SourceDir.