This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Another Curiosity about GUID...

1 reply to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 15:27

Hi to all,

Another question about the "mysterious" GUID.
As far as I know each IS6.x project has one and only one GUID.
Now, opening a file cab with ISCabVu.exe (the tipical data1.cab) and browsing among "sniffed" components, I discovery that each component has a own GUID! And they differ each other.

What does it mean that component-based GUID?
What can I do with those GUID?
Why the project doesn't show this kind of information? Where they are hidden?

Ciao, Giuseppe

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 16:10

I've seen GUIDs with IS Objects in the build output and it making a new GUID each time the project is totally rebuilt.  Never noticed them with regular components, but I also haven't viewed many CAB files.

However, a lot of programs use GUIDs internally to maintain uniqueness in their records.  This way you aren't reliant on the name, and the name can be changed without affecting the GUID and all the places the Component is referenced.

So I'd hypothesize that IS knows what it's doing here since I've never had a problem with a project due to its component GUIDs, so they're something you shouldn't worry about and should therefore just leave alone.

Since you asked though, I see the component GUIDs are defined in the following file:
<ISProject>\Component Definitions\Default.cdf

However, again, I would not bother messing with them or give them another thought.
user posted image