This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to pop up a VB message box after finishing

5 replies to this topic

bluesky9898

bluesky9898
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 21:08

I want to run a VBscript which have a msgbox after finishing the installation. I know that the VBscript can run, however, the msgbox can't be popup.

Any reason why? Does this mean that after user clicks Finish, no UI (such as a msgvbox) sad.gif is allowed any more?

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 13:56

If this is a VBscript MsgBox then it should work. How do you know the script runs? And does the MsgBox show if you move the script custom action earlier in the sequence?

Balachandar

Balachandar
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 14:23

Hi,
The default Finish button behaves like a (c++)Wizard->Finish. It returns OK and kills the GUI. What you have to do is to create a new Finish button in the same place as of the existing one. Copy all events into the new one. There you will see your MsgBox. Make sure you call this customaction before the Exit CA.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 15:22

A VBScript MsgBox should not depend on the installer GUI, or?

Balachandar

Balachandar
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 16:12

Hi Stefan, You can see that the Name of Finish button is called 'OK'. Even if you set the condition of the Exit event of that 'Finish' button to 0, you still will see that the GUI disappears. Could that be something why MgBox is not displayed?. ???

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 17:03

I don't think that a MsgBox displayed in VBScript (or a DLL or EXE, any custom action) has any relationship to the MSI UI. You can even display MsgBoxes in deferred custom actions in the execut sequence and in a silent install. That's whyyou should avoid them except for debugging purposes, or take precautions to make sure they don't get displayed if your setup runs in silent mode.