This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Feature removed when "Major" upgrading

6 replies to this topic

daniel.bila

daniel.bila
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:38

Here is my problem (quite simple):

I am doing a Major upgrade of an existing setup. I would like one feature (ODBC DSN) to be unchanged during the setup process.
It appears that this is not possible... A feature must be installed or remove when upgrading.

Does anyone know any solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 21:55

Using the MigratefeatureStates flag should carry over the feature selection.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:43

You map also need to move the RemoveExistingProducts action earlier in the InstallExecute sequence so the new product is installed before the old one is uninstalled.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

daniel.bila

daniel.bila
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:02

I have just removed the RemoveExistingProducts CA from the execute sequence, but the Feature i wanted to be unchanged is still removed by the upgrade install...
Very strange...
Maybe I will save the existing feature manually and then at the end of the execute sequence I will restore it manually, by it's really incredible that I have to do this! Why MSI doesn't provide a simple way to let a feature unchanged when major upgrading! I thaught it was a very simple think... mad.gif

BTW thank very much for your help smile.gif

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:06

Sorry, I told you to move it the wrong way earlier. You should move it to the end of the setup to avoid the feature from being uninstalled if it exists in both products with the same name.

Don't remove the action, this may result in windows installer running it at a default sequence number (if there is such a thing).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

daniel.bila

daniel.bila
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:49

If I understand well I should move the "RemoveExistingsProducts" to the end of the Execute sequence...
What I don't understand is: why it won't remove the Feature if the Action is at the end? I was thinking that it should do the same think wherever it is located in the execute sequence...

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 12:12

The MigrateFeatureStates action is supposed to detect what features are installed and not installed in the previous setup and use the same feature configuration for the upgrade. Since you are doing a major upgrade you are essentially uninstalling the previous product and reinstalling the new one. I believe a feature that is seen as installed in the previous version will be either removed and reinstalled or just reinstalled depending on where the RemoveExistingProducts action is located in the execute sequence. I have however never tried this, so it could be that the MigrateFeatureStates action is smart enough to detect that a feature is installed, and hence don't uninstall it. You need to test this. Hope this was clear.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 21 July 2004 - 12:13.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul