This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

deferred custom action and public props

4 replies to this topic

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 21:03

I know you're only supposed to access properties from a deferred custom action using only CustomActionData.  But i have tried accessing public properties using MsiGetProperty(...) and it works.

can anyone add insight here?  i assume it works because the session still exists while the script is getting executed, so what kind of circumstance would lead to the session not existing?

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 00:05

Which version of Installshield are you using?  With Developer 7, Installscript custom actions run under a seperate process, called IDriver.exe (I think).  These custom actions have full access to public properties regardless of whether they are running as immediate or deferred.

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 17:04

thanks for the response leigh,  i'm not using installshield.  strictly ORCA and C++. to access these properties i'm using the msi API, calling MsiGetProperty(...).

CM

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 23:23

(and in case it wasn't clear, the question stands)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 06:55

You can get the productCode and UserSID properties in a deferred CA.
For any other properties the documentation is quite clear: don't do it.
Maybe it works sometimes, on some windows versions, with some windows installer versions, for some properties. But it undocumented, so don't use it. Even documented functions are often not 100% reliable, so I wouldN#t rely on anything that the docs say it won't work.