This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Splitting an install

6 replies to this topic

kinggeorge1

kinggeorge1
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 17:42

user posted image
I have a large install-file (quarter of a Gigabyte), made by Installshield 2010.
Once in a while I produce a new version of the file, and save it.
The problem is, that with each new version of the file, I need to waste another 250 Megabytes of data.
The thing is, that about 99% of the data doesn't change from version to version, and the files that do change, are the same files each time.
I'd like to know, if there's a way to somehow split the install-file into 2 files, a large file for the constant part, and a small file for the variable part?

Thanx in advace.

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:58

I'm not sure this would work, but maybe you could create 2 product configurations (releases menu) and by using release flags, build only the changed features.

kinggeorge1

kinggeorge1
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 13:24

Thanx. I sure will try the option.

kinggeorge1

kinggeorge1
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:37

The solution of lilache was not exactly was I was looking for.
When I produce an installation-file (with Build -> Refresh Build), an executable FILE is produced in directory "Media\Default\Package".
But in parallel, an installation DIRECTORY is produced in directory "Media\Default\Disk Images\Disk 1".
In the "Disk 1" directory, 2 cab-files are produced (among other files).
How can I tell Installshield, which data to put in each cab-file?
(By doing so, I can put all the constant-files into the first cab-file, and all the variable-files into the second cab-file... end of story!).

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:22

When you create a new release (using the release wizard), you can control the compression settings. This will allow you to choose compression of on .cab per feature.

So if all your constant files are in the same feature, they will be packed in the same cab file, same for the variable files.

kinggeorge1

kinggeorge1
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:23

Well, it seems that it's exactly the solution I need. I'll check it immediately.
Thanks again.

kinggeorge1

kinggeorge1
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:38

The solution I've found: Using the "update" option.
In the release wizard, in the "Update" window, I've selected "Differential", then I've pressed "Import" and chosen the header-file of the installation-version that I'd chosen to upgrade from. Then in the "Objects..." option I've chosen "Include if changed".
That's it!
Now, when I'll install a fresh copy, I'll install the full install.
Afterwards, in the next versions, I'll install only the update version.

lilache, thanx for your help.
Much obliged.