This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registry Permissions

3 replies to this topic

king_kobra

king_kobra
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:22

Hello,

I'm developing an application that loads some COM objects using plain old CoCreateInstance in C++. The problem I am having is that the SYSTEM user does not have any permissions for the registry keys under HKCR that contain the CLSIDs for the objects I need to load. This is only a problem on some machines.

I'm looking for a suggestion on how to explicitly set the permissions for SYSTEM or otherwise solve this problem. I guess I could call regini.exe from a custom action but this doesn't seem like a very clean solution. I'm using MS Visual Studio .NET 2003 to create my .msi.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Wesley Gill
Gillware Inc.

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 16:07

The true MSI method to acheive this (without a CA to call another app) would require some declarations in the LockPermissions table. This will only work so long as the person installing the package has the required permissions to change the permissions. I've seen similar issues to yours where the 'Everyone' permission was set to 'Deny' and so not even the administrator was able to change anything with the LockPermissions table elements.

Regards,
Gareth

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 13:31

On a similar line, I've started using subinacl.exe in a series of CAs in order to set permissions on registry values without loosing the user's existing permissions (something the LockPermissions table was unable to do).

The only problem with this EXE is that I can't find a silent switch to stop the command window from flashing up a couple of times during the install. It looks messy and could cause unrest for the end user.

Does anyone have experience of using this EXE and found a way to call it silently in a CA?

Cheers,
Gareth

king_kobra

king_kobra
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 17:04

Thanks for your replys. I'm able to fix most of my problems using the LockPermissisons table.