This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Macrovision To Acquire InstallShield

6 replies to this topic

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 01:14

Macrovision® To Acquire InstallShield® Software Corporation

SANTA CLARA, Calif., & SCHAUMBURG, Ill.—June 17, 2004—Macrovision® Corporation (Nasdaq: MVSN) today announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire the assets and operations of privately-held InstallShield® Software Corporation of Schaumburg, Illinois, for $76 million in a cash transaction. An additional payment of up to $20 million is contingent upon post-acquisition performance. InstallShield is the leading provider of software installation tools, and has innovative solutions in deployment and update services.
This acquisition enables Macrovision to expand its product portfolio in the Software Value Management category (see www.macrovision.com/theSVMcategory) and to reach InstallShield’s large software developer customer base. Macrovision also expects to benefit from InstallShield’s market leadership and strong brand equity.

The acquisition of InstallShield is expected to close in the third quarter of 2004. The acquisition has been approved by the board of directors of each company and is subject to various closing conditions.

Upon closing of the acquisition, InstallShield Software Corporation will become part of Macrovision’s Software Technologies Group. Macrovision plans to continue full-scale development and expansion of InstallShield’s existing product lines.

http://www.installsh...reshandrick.asp

tw0001

tw0001
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 21:00

Kind of sad that it's only worth that much (76 million). I thought it would be worth a lot more considering their customer base, etc.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 21:03

Well, compared to the $43 million that Altiris had paid for Wise that's not too bad. And don't forget the option for additional $20 million.

am9518

am9518
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 23:05

So now if you try to make a copy of a MacroVision / Installshield package, will your screen will fade from black to white to black as you try to use the package?

(this is only funny if you've ever tried to make a copy of a copyrighted vhs tape and then tried to watch it).

Edited by am9518, 17 June 2004 - 23:05.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 13:38

I didn't see this one coming, however since the original founder still ran the company, it is pretty natural to cash in at some point. The future of a pure installation package solution is also not that certain anymore since the underlying installation logic becomes more of an OS issue. Finally there is the new development with the XML toolset to create MSI files and the whole .NET one click installer stuff. I am not saying there won't be a need for installer tools, but I think this was a good time to cash in, and I think 76 million is a lot of money!
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Cantona

Cantona
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 15:42

"Finally there is the new development with the XML toolset to create MSI files"

Yeah, but that is just a different way to create MSI packages. You could use WiX, just as you could use Orca, but there will be a market for a more sophisticated MSI ceation tool...I don't see the new XML toolsets changing this.

" and the whole .NET one click installer stuff."

It will be interesting to see how one click install develops over the years, and I do think it will take years.

"I am not saying there won't be a need for installer tools, but I think this was a good time to cash in, and I think 76 million is a lot of money."

I don't believe it is a case of cashing in rather one of shooting for even more growth. MSI isn't going anywhere for the next 5 years or so, the multi-platform installation market is potentially huge, repackaging will be around for some time.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:46

"Finally there is the new development with the XML toolset to create MSI files"

Yeah, but that is just a different way to create MSI packages. You could use WiX, just as you could use Orca, but there will be a market for a more sophisticated MSI ceation tool...I don't see the new XML toolsets changing this.
" and the whole .NET one click installer stuff."

It will be interesting to see how one click install develops over the years, and I do think it will take years.

"I am not saying there won't be a need for installer tools, but I think this was a good time to cash in, and I think 76 million is a lot of money."

I don't believe it is a case of cashing in rather one of shooting for even more growth. MSI isn't going anywhere for the next 5 years or so, the multi-platform installation market is potentially huge, repackaging will be around for some time.

Yes. There will definitely be installation tools around, but it seems that these tools will become more of a GUI, RAD or front end for setup creation rather than a proprietary install API (like Installshield delivered before). The current version of Installshield Developer / X is in many cases more expensive than Visual Studio, and many companies may opt for a simpler solution than this massive and expensive product. Repackaging is indeed a whole other story, and this is an area where there are several large companies involved, not just Installshield. A merger might help to get a better market share.

I do think Installshield is moving more toward multi-platform installation tools. For one thing I have noticed that their best people (Baker, Dickau, etc) are very active in the multi platform installation forums. This is also a market that is more open for domination by a single company than windows installation which seems to be moving towards standardization (I generally won't believe it before I see it, and that goes for .NET X-copy deployment as well and one click install).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul