This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding dependency dll to binary table

3 replies to this topic

esitdikov

esitdikov
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 20:31

Hi,
I have a custom action which calls function in dll stored in binary table. That dll does some preinstallation checks and it called in UI sequence before any files are installed. That dll needs another dll to work. Is it possible to put that second dll into binary table too somehow so they both will get extracted into same temporary location when my cusom action is executed?
I am using DevStudio.
Thanks.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:11

I dont think that this is possible, but maybe someone else can tell me otherwise?

This is a tricky one.

Maybe you could look at dynamically load the dll's required for your custom action dll?

This would allow you to set the path for the dll's (you could place them on your cd, or copy them to temp with your custom action, then the dll can be loaded when it is required).

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 15:03

Basically you want to stream one or more files out of the binary table. There's an article about that here on InstallSite/Windows Installer/CustomActions which describes how to do that. The big problem: It's an InstallScript CA. You could take that as an example and built a custom action dll in C out of it. A second custom action should be included to be called later on to delete the streamed file again.
h.teichert-ott

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 17:19

You could put both files in the Support Files view. These get extracted to the temp folder during setup initializaton, so you can call them from there.