This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding Merge Module at Runtime

5 replies to this topic

magicien

magicien
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 17:02

In my msi project, i check if MSDE is installed by using RegLocator and AppSearch.
If MSDE is not installed i want to add to my installation MSDE merge module.
So my question is : how to add merge module by code?
is it possible to install MSDE conditionally??

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 17:19

The componentts in a merge module are no different from any other component.  If you author it under a feature it will only be installed if that feature is being installed.  You can use the feature condition to use the result of your AppSearch.

magicien

magicien
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2001 - 09:40

I've tried this but it didn't work.
I asked Installshield support if i can install conditionally a Merge Module but i was told that MSDE merge module cannot be installed conditionnally ..

shaun

shaun
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 22:16

all merge modules can be installed conditionally thats how the installer was designed ... maybe some parts of the merge module arent directly referenced by its component code so you might need to edit the msm or the final msi with orca to see which bits need extra conditions placedon them.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 15:18

I guess the problems here are the custom actions in the module

avrsa

avrsa
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 02:06

Does anyone know if he can use the MSDE 2000 API functions NumInstalledInstances and IsInstanceNameValid?  Are you using these to determine if there is an existing instance?