This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer error after moving directory

3 replies to this topic

CmdrRicK

CmdrRicK
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 16:02

I have an installation created with IS Express 5.0. The last 2 setups I created seem to produce a "wierd" behaviour when you move the database directory (contains some Access .mdb files) to an different location (same drive or network directory).
The application is designed to expect such a directory move and it asks for the new location of the directory but afterwards the windows installer starts and asks for the installation .msi and tries to restore the database directory to its installation path.
This does not happen when I create an empty directory named "database" after I moved the original one.
Is there any option to avoid this "directory monitoring"?

Regards CmdrRicK

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 15:50

This is Windows Installer's auto repair. You could avoid this for the component that represents the directory. But in Express you can't get to the component level so I'm not sure how you would avoid this problem in Express.

One possible workaround might be not to install the database files but instead use a custom action to xcopy the files to the database folder or extract them from a zip.

CmdrRicK

CmdrRicK
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:07

Thank you for your quick reply!
Windows Installer produces way to much headache...
I imported the msi into Wise Installer Express where I could have a look at the msi tables but I did not find something like a autorepair flag.
Will extracting files from a zip work under Vista?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:52

At the component level, remove the ComponentId GUID. Components with a blank (empty) Id will not be services by Wndows Installer (will not be repaired, and will not be uninstalled).

Why should extracting a ZIP file not work on Vista?