This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

I want my installer to launch the program after installing

4 replies to this topic

seier

seier
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 05:37

Hello and thank you in advance for any replies.  I would like to make my setup program launch the application at the end of the installation.  I'm using the normal Visual Studio interface, not InstallShield or Wise or anything else.  Just Visual Studio.  
Okay code slueths do that voodoo that you do so well :).  

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 22:38

You would do this with a custom action that launches an executable. Unfortunately the VSI development environment doesn't support this. But you can open your finished .msi with Orca and add the required table entries manually.

seier

seier
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2002 - 03:45

Hi Stefan,
I've opened up an MSI in Orca and it's like seeing the registry for the first time in Windows: daunting.  What is the specific section that I would add the program I'd like to launch? Do I enter the value as a string with quotes or without?  
Thanks for all your help you rock,
Christian

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 January 2002 - 22:53

The CustomAction table plus a few more. You will have to dig into the MSI documentation if you want to do this on the low level of a table editor like Orca.
Or you buy a more pwoerful authoring tool that can set this up with point and click.

seier

seier
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2002 - 04:15

Thanks Stefan,
I believe I found the informaton I needed. I'll have to try it later, but here's what I found in MSDN for others who might need to do this:
http://msdn.microsof...rary....7i0.asp