This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Detecting existing servers

3 replies to this topic

KeithC

KeithC
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2001 - 16:40

One of the applications I need to install requires the user to download additional settings from a local server. I'm considering prompting them for the IP/address of the server during install-time instead, and then using a simple ping to confirm the IP. Initially, I wanted to check for a file that must reside on the server, but I can't get any of the File or Dir functions to search a remote IP.

Is there an existing function to perform this task or should I just install the app and let the user take responsibility for getting it right?

Thanks again,
Keith C.

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 19:03

Have you considered using the WshNetwork object through the Windows Scripting Host?  I presume the user has to have an established connection to the server, and using the network object you can enumerate the connected drives.  Then you should be able to iterate through the drives and search for the file you want.

That is pretty time consuming, but you can offer the user a "you put it in or let us find it" option and run a CA to ferret out the file if that is what the user selects.

KeithC

KeithC
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 19:17

Hm. I hadn't considered that at all but will give it a serious look. Unfortunately, this comes back to the whole cost-benefit balance. It might be less of a burden on the user to just do a quick, simple install and then attempt the settings download. If it fails, we already offer them a UI from within the app to change the IP address.

It's worth looking at, though, so long as the install-time search isn't too lengthy for the user. Thanks for the reply.

Keith C.