This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Some files are not being updated with an upgrade

8 replies to this topic

erich

erich
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 14:33

With the latest build of our product we notice that some binary files are being updated but not others. In each case the change in version numbering is the same.
The files that are being updated are in a different part of the 'feature tree' so it is plausible that some property at feature or component level is causing the difference in behaviour, but it's not immediately obvious what!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 17:20

A verbose log file should help to diagnose the problem.

erich

erich
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 13:04

I have generated verbose logs for the initial install and the upgrade. All I can see is that in the upgrade for the componet that is updated we have: -
MSI (s) (84:18): Component: DevFC; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
Followed by lines related to copying the file checking the version number, etc

For the component that is NOT updated we have: -
MSI (s) (84:18): Component: Epstiff; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null

What I did notice is that if we look at the feature 'DevFC' belongs to we have a line: -
DeviceControllers; Installed: Local; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall

While for the one that doesn't get updated we have: -
Feature: Core; Installed: Advertise; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall

Now based on this I recreated an 'earlier' install where the Core Feature's 'Advertised' property was set to 'Allow Advertise' (whereas it was actually set to 'Disallow Advertise'). If I now run this on a clean system and then run the new install to do an upgrade the Epstiff compnent IS upgraded.

Of couse this doesn't solve my problem as I can't change already installed systems!
I attach the verbose logs.

Attached Files

Edited by erich, 11 August 2004 - 13:11.

erich

erich
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 13:05

Here's the other log!

Attached Files

Edited by erich, 11 August 2004 - 13:10.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 16:36

Feature: Core; Installed: Advertise; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall

This typically means that you have broken the compoentn rules. And indeed your update log has a couple of these SELMGR messages that are typically seen in this case:
MSI © (20:20): SELMGR: ComponentId '{07894B0D-5610-4C09-9B12-9BC36F8BF843}' is registered to feature 'CrystalRedist', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI © (20:20): SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported
MSI © (20:20): SELMGR: New components have been added to feature 'AddressBook'
MSI © (20:20): SELMGR: Component 'AllOtherFiles' is a new component added to feature 'AddressBook'
MSI © (20:20): SELMGR: Component 'Btrout' is registered to feature 'BrooktroutTR1034Controller', but is not present in the FeatureComponents table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI © (20:20): SELMGR: Component 'BFaxInit' is registered to feature 'BrooktroutController', but is not present in the FeatureComponents table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI © (20:20): SELMGR: Component 'INI_Full' is registered to feature 'Core', but is not present in the FeatureComponents table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!

While adding components is allowed, removing them is not. this includes removing merge modules, or changing component GUIDs.

erich

erich
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 18:19

But none of the components we are concerned about has been added or removed - is it possible that removing a component from a feature can cause anothe component not to update properly?

If that is the case can we fix the problem by restoring deleted componets? (i.e. could we recreate components as 'dummy' components which matching names and codes but no files)

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:45

Try a major upgrade (unless this is what you are already doing).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 17:21

Removing ANY component from the msi package will prevent you from successfully installing a small or minor update.

erich

erich
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 14:22

OK, I've modified by new install to 'restore' all such missing components with matching codes.
This seems to update fine now - Many Thanks!! biggrin.gif