This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing add/remove program entries

1 reply to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:09

Hello,

I am faced with a strange issue. One of our customers tried uninstalling our product and the uninstallation was always rolling back.

So he went ahead and ran a couple of cleanup steps ,which otherwise the installer would have taken care of during uninstallation.However now the product registration is not cleaned from the windows installer database. So the customer continues to see the entries for our product in the Add/Remove programs applet.

The customer now wants to reinstall our product and the installer detects that the product is installed and goes into maintenance mode.

He also wants the add/remove entries to be cleaned up.

Here were my suggestions:

1)Use the windows installer cleanup tool - The customer is not ready to use this.

2)Use msizap - Not yet conveyed to the customer. However i am not sure if the customer would agree to this.

3)Provide the customer with a utility which would cleanup the windows installer registration entries.

I am now pursuing the third option.

Here are the steps i am performing in the cleanup utility:

1)Cleanup the registration entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<Product GUID>

2) Cleanup the registration entries under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\<GUID>

I observed that cleaning up the registry key as described in step 2 removed the entries in the Add/Remove programs.

Questions:

1)Is there an API/set of API's which i could use to cleanup the windows installer registration?

2)HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\<GUID>

How do i locate this registry key? What is this registry key? How is this generated?

Obviously, the Microsoft provided cleanup tools have some mechanism by which they locate this registry key.Does anyone know of the same.

I am dead stuck here. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Kiran Hegde

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 16:09

However now the product registration is not cleaned from the windows installer database. So the customer continues to see the entries for our product in the Add/Remove programs applet
These are two separate and unrelated things - the Windows Installer database and the Add/Remove Programs applet.

The customer now wants to reinstall our product and the installer detects that the product is installed and goes into maintenance mode.
So why can't he use the msi to uninstall the product? Did you try to find out why the uninstall rolled back in the first place?

1)Use the windows installer cleanup tool - The customer is not ready to use this.
2)Use msizap - Not yet conveyed to the customer. However i am not sure if the customer would agree to this.
These two are essentially the same.

1)Cleanup the registration entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<Product GUID>
This will only remove the entry in Add/Remove Programs.

1)Is there an API/set of API's which i could use to cleanup the windows installer registration?
This is done by uninstalling the product - you could try msiexec.exe /x {ProductCode-GUID}
There's no API equivalent to the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool.

If you change the ProuctCode you can install the new version side-by-side to the old version, Since you already removed the old uninstall entry and your customer probably also deleted the files already, maybe you can live with the few remains of the old version left behind in the registry.