This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installer Localization Procedures...

1 reply to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 14:41

Hi all,

We are going to be upgrading to the Premier edition (2012, I guess) as the need has arisen for us to have a localized product & installation.

I do have a few questions around this, of course.

How do most deal with installations in different languages. One of our products is delivered in an .msi and the other is wrapped in a Setup.exe. For the .msi I would think this would have to be separate packages for the different languages. Or, if I choose 1033 and #### (for French) in the .ism will that work. I would think you would have to choose the preferred language somehow, but there would be no front end UI to do so.

Also, for the most part, our .msi delivery is run silently so I don't know how I'm going to deal with product placement based on language. I guess that depends on what development has in store for my come deployment time. I know I will find out at the last minute.

Enough rambling. I guess I just need to know if you guys/gals develop separate packages per language or somehow combine. Again I guess this may depend on what has to be placed for the product to support localization.

I hope someone can make sense of this and can provide some info, starting points, etc.

Thanks and sorry for the lack of clarity!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 14:23

If you want separate setups per language, in InstallShield add multiple releases (one per language).
If you want a multi-language setup, select the langauges in the release wizard. There you can specify which should be the default language and whether your end users should be able to select a language or if InstzallShield should automatically select the language base don the language settings on their computer. (langaue selection will require a setup.exe) Installshield will create an msi and multiple mst langauge transforms. You can also apply language transforms using the msiexec command line if you don't want to use setup.exe.