This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading a legacy application

2 replies to this topic

nestoras

nestoras
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:15

Hi to everybody,

I have installed an application using a legacy installation program (Wise InstallMaster 8.1).
I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade this application (replace old executables with new executables) by using an .msi installation.
Will this result in having both applications installed? (the old one installed with wise and the new one installed with .msi)

In general the question is what happens when one wants to move from a legacy installation to msi installation, without necessarily uninstalling the legacy installation.

thanks in advance,

Nestoras

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:09

MSi has no built in functionality to update legacy instalaltions.
The cleanest solution would be to uninstall the legacy version first. To do this your MSI setup could read the uninstall command of the legacy version from registry and execute it in a custom action.
If you don't want to do this you could install the new version on top of the old version. In addition you should remove the uninstall registry entry of the old version from registry. Otherwise you would end up with two entries, and uninstalling the legacy version would break the new version.

nestoras

nestoras
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:23

Thank you for your quick reply.
I will look further on it.

Nestoras