This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Using the windows installer service tables to inst

2 replies to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:49

Hello,

Let me explain my problem.

I have two windows services the functionality of which is written in java(jar files). To install these services, an executable wrapper is written which accepts a set of command line parameters. These parameters are interally passed to the jar files and the services get installed. This executable wrapper gets registered in the service control manager as the service executable.

I could invoke this executable wrapper using an EXE custom action. However i do not prefer this, so do a lot of windows installer experts on the web.

So i was kind of thinking if i could use the windows installer service tables to accomplish my task. Is this possible?
The service exe is the key file for this component.
I also want to be able to pass command line parameters as i install the service using the service control tables.
For example: a.exe -b -c. a.exe is my service executable and b and c are the arguments.

Questions:
1)Can i make use of service control tables to install my service?
2)Is it possible to pass command line parameters to my service executable, if the service installation requires these parameters?
3)Is this possible for services written in java?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Regards,
Kiran Hegde

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:45

Can anyone help me here?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:19

When creating the serice you can specify start parameters. Is that what you want?