This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DuplicateFiles action and REINSTALLMODE

2 replies to this topic

jdavidi

jdavidi
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 20:06

Greetings,

My first posting; please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum--we use InstallShield Premier 2011, but I believe what I'm experiencing would apply to all msis:

Best practices aside, we have a daily build that constantly generate new .NET assemblies with the default file version 1.0.0.0 .

We run the msi every day with REINSTALLMODE=vamus , with the intent to force the overwrite of 300+ files in our main INSTALLDIR location despite the file versions not incrementing. This is working without issue, and we see this for every file in our install in the log:

Overwrite; Won't patch; REINSTALLMODE specifies all files to be overwritten.

We have 150+ entries in the DuplicateFile table, going after a subset of the main 300 components, that we would also like to copy with every reinstallation. These files get copied as expected with the first run of the installation, but when reinstalled I see this for every file:

Won't Overwrite; Won't patch; Existing file is of an equal version

Does the 'a' in REINSTALLMODE truly not apply to the DuplicateFile table? Short of a CA or explicitly bumping our file versions, are there any known workarounds to this issue, even if it is InstallShield 2011-specific?

Thanks very much!

--jdavidi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 14:15

No offense intended, but: Best practices aside - this is what you get: problems.
I'd really recommend that you fix your version numbering and include the update scenario in your daily builds. This will avoid you discovering update issues after you shipped the first version.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, so for a workaround: you could try deleting those files using the RemoveFile table.

Or you could set the components to "always overwrite" which will cause InstalLShield to lie about the version of the files in your setup.

Note that the above applies to the file version. If you are installing assemblies in the GAC there's also the assembly version involved, and things will get more ugly.

jdavidi

jdavidi
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 14:35

No offense taken whatsoever; yes, Always Overwrite is what I ended up using to get around for now, but I hadn't considered RemoveFile--great advice. We'll get our official version bumping in there before long, but I could still see uses for RemoveFile for some 3rd party distributables we have who don't necessarily change versions.

Thanks for the reply and insight, Stefan!

--jdavidi