This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing second MSI package then launching

3 replies to this topic

MNJon

MNJon
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 14:14

I have two installs (a client/server app that I am installing).

Install A (the server install) installs a second MSI file and the files that the second MSI file will install.

I can get the second MSI file to launch from within the first install by using a Type 7 CA (nested install) but the second MSI file is looking for it's source files on the source media, however the source files for the second MSI are already on the target machine.

How can I launch a second MSI file FROM a location I installed it to?

Thanks in advance,
John

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 14:34

You should be aware of some limitations with nested installations (all per Bob Bakers new book: http://www.amazon.co...442879-3292142) :
  • Child installations should be installed with the same ALLUSERS settings as the parent setup otherwise problems can result with the registration of the parent setup as either per machine or per user.
  • Nested setups cannot share components with the parent setup
  • You cannot run an administrative installation on a package that includes nested installation custom actions
  • Patching and upgrading might not work with nested installations
  • Integrated progress bars cannot be used
  • Advertised resources cannot be installed with nested installs
  • Etc...

You could include all components in one setup and then have the setup act differently on the client and the server. Here is a similar case:
http://forum.install...wtopic=9904&hl=

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

MNJon

MNJon
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 17:34

Thanks for the tips, although I was aware of most of these.

Unfortunately, I already have the two installs that I mentioned (client and server), and for better or worse, all I need to do is to be able to launch the second (client) install from the first (server) install - but from the installed location, not from the source location.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be most appreciated.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:26

Do I understand correctly that the server install is <apart from the server stuff> supposed to create a distribution of the client install, and then install the client itself?

Try this:
Create a CA 23, and install this with the parameter "ACTION=ADMIN" and "TARGETDIR=<Distributionfolder>". It creates an administrative installation on the Distribution folder. (With a CA 7 that appears to be impossible). An administrative installation is just a normal installation, although it can be installed as "Run from source".
The drawback of a CA 23 is that the MSI file must exist as a file somewhere (you can't store it in the binary table) - although this can be the same folder as the main MSI. However, this is a problem if you wrap everything in an exe, or install from the web.
After that CA 23, you can install the administrative image with another CA 23 - this time, leave the ACTION=ADMIN out.