This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Create a DSN?

9 replies to this topic

Alex K

Alex K
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 11:54

I´m trying to create a DSN in the ODBC sources using InstallShield for Windows Installer 1.10.

I created the component using the Component Wizard, specifying the following properties:

- Driver
- Server
- Database
- LastUser

.. I get the following error under the installation process:

Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source <Product Name> DSN, ODBC error 8: Invalid keyword-value pairs. Verify that the file <Product Name> DSN exists and that you can access it.

I´ve read the manual... but it´s very swift regarding the creation of DSN´s. How is this done properly?

Marie Tupps

Marie Tupps
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 15:36

Alex

Try Installshields Q104385 Document in their Knowledge Base.  I am also having the same problem.

Marie

Alex K

Alex K
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:02

Thanks... it worked! ;)

Do you know where I can find any documentation on which parameters I can add to the ODBC-registration?
Like how to specify Login ID... and that it shouldn´t use Windows NT authentication?

Rayhawk

Rayhawk
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 02:32

I've only done one DSN install, however . . . .
try creating the DSN as you like it on a machine, then open up the registry to:
 HKLM\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI
then view/export the key which matches the DSN you created--should have everything you need.

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 09:26

I found some documentation to configure DSN in the MSDN librairy: look in "SQLDriverConnect (ODBC)" for the entire information.
In particular, if you do not want to use NT authentication, use the attribute "Trusted_Connection" with the value "no" and the attributes "UID" and "PWD" to specify the user and its password for the SQL server.
Hope it helps.
Best Regards.

Kannan

Kannan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 12:21

Hi all
I am also facing the DSN Creation problem .I set the Following Attributes

Database = NeDB
Server = NeServer
Trusted_Connection = no
UID = sa
PWD(no Pwd)

And while installing Installer give the error invalid attributes.But ur telling that we can use UID,PWD attributes.Am Using SQLServer.

If i use just Server and Database the DSN was created correctly with improper UID,PWD.
an u point out where i am doing Wrong??

Alex K

Alex K
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 12:28

I´ve also tried the UID/PWD attributes and I also get an error.

What version of Microsoft Installer are you using? I´m using 1.10.

I wonder if there may be another way of creating DSN´s...

Kannan

Kannan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 06:21

I am using Windows Installer Version - 1.20.1827.0
Is there any way to solve this problem.
my requirement is that i am attaching a DB during the setup run and want to create a DSN which should point to that DB.

jeffdeep

jeffdeep
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 16:50

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  This is the exact issue i'm running into.  I'd like to dynamicaly (during setup) add server, database, uid, pwd, etc. to my file DSN.  I keep encountering "error 8".  I've looked at IS's kb but that doesn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 11:12

Why do you need to set UID and PWD in your DSN?
Each time your application will need to acess your database through your DSN, an authentication will be required: UID and  PWD are useless in the DSN. In the ODBC wizard, you can set it only to test your connexion ...

Hope this helps.
Regards,
JSP