This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

UAC and Vista

2 replies to this topic

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:42

I have created my application in .msi format. I have signed all DLL's and MSI itself. I installed this application with UAC ON on a vista machine. Installation is successfull. Now i created a patch in form of .MSP file. I signed this patch as well.

When i launch this patch and click button UPDATE the GUI of patch vanished. Patch fails to install. In log i can't find anything beyond "PATCH WELCOME".

If i disable UAC on the vista machine, the patch installs successfully.

Any idea how to get this patch working on VISTA with UAC switched ON.

Thanks in advance.

Amarjeet

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:55

Did you put the certificate you use to sign the patch into the MsiPatchCertificate table of the original msi file?

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:47

Yes i have placed certificate. Whats happening is .msp file is not able to get elevated permissions to install the patch. The patch gets installed successfully when UAC is off , because admin privilage question does not arise when UAC is off.

I have checked each and every setting and did not found any abnormality. My current setup complies with vista logo certification.

With our previous release we have not used digital signatures to sign package. This package as well as patches for this package do get installed without any problem whether UAC is ON / OFF.

So just because of adding digital signatures to msi we started facing problem.

Not sure what settings needs to be done in msp to elevate permssions.

Amarjeet