This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Detect version of Mediaplayer on install

3 replies to this topic

Peter Davies

Peter Davies
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2001 - 16:13

Hi

My app. requires that a certain Mediaplayer is loaded. How do I check the Mediaplayer version whilst loading my app in order to load update or not, as the case may be?

Regards
Peter Davies

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 April 2001 - 15:02

Install it somewhere and see if inserts reg entries under hklm\software.  (Maybe use a disk/reg monitor program discussed on this site.)  If so, then look for this key in your setup.  You may have to install a couple of versions to see if they have changed anything over the development.  If they don't have the required reg entries, upgrade them.  You might have to check the acutal version of an exe.

haran

haran
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2001 - 20:41

There's a couple of Keys that mediaplayer 6 installs that have version numbers.  
Under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer
there are two keys
Setup\
which has the "SetupVersion" string and
PlayerUpgrade\
which has the "PlayerVersion" string

Unfortunately, I don't believe these are the same in earlier versions of mediaplayer

The best solution I can come up with would be to check the "Installation Directory" string found under the root MediaPlayer key and check the version number of the exe.
(you could use the VerFindFileVersion function to help that process out)

Also, remember that earlier versions of MediaPlayer had the executable name "mplayer.exe", while versions 6 and up have the exe name "mplayer2.exe"

Hope this helps,
Haran