This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How do I insert a newline with Orca/SQL?

7 replies to this topic

dbritt

dbritt
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 22:36

I'm trying to edit the BodyText of the FinishedForm and I've written a VBScript script to do it automatically for me. I have the SQL statements in a separate file and my script reads from the file and executes each line of SQL. I don't know how to get it to recognize the newline characters. When I put in \n it just displays the literal \n. I thought it might have been using RTF for the display, so I tried \par and that didn't work either. Please help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:17

Have you tried vbNewLine ?
"Line one" & vbNewLine & "Line two"

dbritt

dbritt
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 17:32

No, and here's why:

The script reads each line and uses the returned string directly...it wont interpret what it reads. Surely there's an escape sequence that the MSI file will recognize?

dbritt

dbritt
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 17:40

but yes, when I hard-code a test string w/ vbCrLf, it does work

dbritt

dbritt
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 23:31

QUOTE (dbritt @ 2004-12-31 17:32)
No, and here's why:

Edit:
Sorry, I re-read your question. Yes, I did test it. No it doesn't work.

Edited by dbritt, 01 January 2005 - 01:54.

dbritt

dbritt
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 22:31

I found the problem. The textStream.readline() function returns a string from the file and doesn't perform any of the escape checking that JavaScript does when you create a new string. I wrote a small RegEx to parse out the \n and replace w/ a fresh \n which caused the escape to be recognized. This still does not solve the problem if I use ORCA and need to put a new line into there. I'd really like to know if the MSI execution prog has a special escape sequence that it will use for special characters in the MSI database. Like if I put a \n in there, I would like for it to be smart enough to display it as a new line. Do you know of anything that does this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 21:12

No, MSI doesn't recognize such an escape character for newline.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:10

I'm quite sure that the following works:

Record.StringData(fieldno) = "Line 1" & vbCRLF & "Line 2"

(I didn't test that construction, I used MsiRecordSetString)
I don't know how you can query for such records, don't be surprised if that's not possible.