This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

another newbie ? won't uninstall anything

2 replies to this topic

bilandra

bilandra
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:04

Hey,
I just asked one newbie question about an unintended reboot during the middle of an install. And I notice too that when I go to uninstall the program that I just installed with my installer, that it does not uninstall anything it just installed. Any ideas on where I need to look to fix this problem?
Thanks so much!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:41

First, make sure you're testing this on a clean operating system image/VM to avoid any remainders from previous failed setup tests.
Then generate a log (http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm) to see why Windows Installer doesn't remove the files.

bilandra

bilandra
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:29

Thanks, Stefan. This link will undoubtedly come in handy to me.
I retested on the test machine with a clean operating system and it does effectively remove the files that had been installed, but in all cases, either as a fresh install or as an update, on all OS that I'm testing (Win7, Vista and XP), it leaves the directory on the target computer. C:/Program Files/Company/Product.
Thanks again, I'm going to try now to see if I can generate a log and figure out why those directories remain in tact after an uninstall.