This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Migrating from 5 to 6

4 replies to this topic

PaulT

PaulT
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 17:36

Has anyone tried to migrate an installer from IS 5 to IS 6.  Do they have the same scripting language / API or will a project need rewriting from scratch?
Any links to documentation / experience would be greatly appreciated

Paul

Ide Nentjes

Ide Nentjes
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 08:55

Hi Paul,

The first time you open an IS5 project in IS6 you will be prompted if you wish to convert the project. If you do, IS attempts to migrate. Converted projects will no longer load in IS 5 after migration.

The migration process is not perfect, and some minor problems might arise, especially if your project is very large. Those problems typically involve minor rewriting of your code. This can be done in IS6, so the migration process needs to be done only once. It is of course always a good idea to backup your project before executing the conversion.

Further, as you might know, IS 6 is event-based, but it still supports complete scripting. The migrated project won't be event-driven but scripted.

The on-line help of IS6 provides more information for (automatic) migration.

PaulT

PaulT
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 14:30

Thanks for that I have just tried this and all seems OK.  I am about to try a build with the evaluation edition.  Does using the scripting model enable me to customise the uninstall process as this is the main reason for looking at the upgrade to 6.2

Ide Nentjes

Ide Nentjes
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 14:52

Yes you can. IS allows for hybrid projects with both 'old' scripting and IS6-style events.

Consult the IS6 Event Maps (to be found on here on installsite) to find out which events to override.