This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple Shortcuts to same file.

3 replies to this topic

adamdurling

adamdurling
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 17:48

I want to create several shortcuts to the same file (depending on installed features).  Each short cut would carry a different command line switch in order to change the behaviour of the component that the shortcut points at.

The problem is that when I attempt to do this, although Developer 8 does nothing to stop me, once the project has been refreshed (i.e. a different view is selected) the short cuts associte themselves with the first feature in the features list that carries that component.

I thought I might be able to fix this by changing the name of the component, but that didn't seem to work either.  For this reason I am led to believe that the key used for referencing the shortcuts is the file name.  I suspect that if I installed the same file with a different name each time that I could add the sortcuts that I require.  Obviously, though, this is not a very elegant solution and I would like to avoid having to do this.

Is there any way I can change the key used for the shortcuts data table from being the file name to the name of the component?  Can anyone see another way around this problem?

Thank you for any help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:02

Shortcuts are associated with components. Work in the Setup Design or Components view to clearly see which shortcut belongs to which component.
Note that advertised shortcuts must be in the same component as the file they are pointing to.
You can use non-advertised shortcuts instead.

adamdurling

adamdurling
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 15:26

Hello,

I understand that the shortcut is associated with the component - but take the following scenario:

Feature 1 - Must be installed
  Component 1 (1.EXE)
      May or may not have shortcut (Lets assume not for now)

Feature 2 - Optional Install
  Component 2 (No Files)
     Shortcut to 1.EXE with option "/Behaviour1"

Feature 3 - Optional Install
  Component 3 (No Files)
     Shortcut to 1.EXE with option "/Behaviour2"

Whenever I attempt to implement this in my basic MSI project the shortcuts that I have associated with components 2 and 3 associtate themselves with component 1.  Why?  Is it because thay have the same target .exe?

I realy only want there to be two shortcuts when features 2 and 3 have been installed - not when only feature 1 is installed.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 16:26

Did you create these as "non-advertised" shortcuts? This seems to work properly for me (Developer 8)