This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Nested Installation .msi Won't Install

8 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 19:10

I'm trying to fire another .msi file via a nested installation Custom Action located in the UISequence.  The .msi file called is on the source CD and it seems to work fine on most machines.  Here is my problem:

On a Win 98 machine, I'm getting this:

This Installation Package could not be opened.  Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

If I fire the nested .msi file by itself on this machine, independent of the calling installation, it works fine.

What could be the problem?

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 17:03

Im likening what I'm seeing on the 98 system to a 1620 error. I see on some other posts that for some reason, the installer doesn't like the database/incompatible.

I still can't understand why it works if run outside of my Parent install. This would tell me the database is OK, but for some reason, when called from the Parent install (Custom Action runs it from source) if bombs!

?????????????

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 15:22

The same error message is also displayed if the msi file is locked by another application (like open in Orca). Maybe for some reason your msi file is locked? Where is it located? If it's on a network the drive mapping may not be available at the time you try to launch it.
If this is really a "nested installation" custom action (type 7, 23, or 39) it should be placed in the execute sequence between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 17:13

My Custom Action calls an exec. stored in a property - msiexec.exe.  I thought this had to be in the UI sequence.

I get the same error if I run our installation from CD or from my InstallShield build directory, which I share then map to from the target machine.  If I run the .msi file independent of our installation process, it works fine from either location.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 16:17

Yes, in this case it has to be in the UI sequence.
Maybe the path.
For this type of CA the property must be the full path to msiexec and the target field must hold /i and the full path to the msi file. Double check your paths.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 17:40

My path on the action is:

/i [SOURCEDIR]\myfile.msi .

I would think this is OK since it works on all other OS's.

This is a stumper!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 21:12

[SOURCEDIR] may already include a trailing backslash. Some operating systems forgive a double backslash, others don't.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 16:49

That was it!  Thanks Stefan!!!

I just duplicated the CA and conditioned the two with Version9X to run on 9X systems without the trailing "\" after [SOURCEDIR] and Not Version9X to run on non-9X systems (has slash).

I then tried without the "\" on VersionNT systems and it seemed to work.  So, back to one custom action without the "\"!

Thanks again, Stefan!!!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 12:21

You're welcome  :)