This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

prerequisites installation is rebooting the host automatically without

4 replies to this topic

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 14:26

hi ,

I am installing Visual C++ 2012 x64 as custom prerequisites for 64 bit host, As a first step installer is popping up prerequisites installation window and once the prerequisites installation is completed, host is getting rebooted automatically without popping up any warning message and not installing actual product. 

I have set 2 conditions to verify whether already VC12 x64 installed or not, first condition is for registry key and another one is "display version" , I attached jpeg file with 2 conditions and behaviours TAB. please see attached jpeg fie. this jpeg clearly shows my configuration about prerequisites.

please suggest me where I need to change the configuration to show the warning message if reboot is required and at the end of the whole installation reboot warning should show, this is how I am planning. 

NOTE: FYI, I maintain same project template for both x86 and x64 products,  during packaging time i update the project file with info like template summary etc.

thanks much.
Phanik 

Attached Images

• prerequisites.jpg

Edited by gmpk82, 30 March 2015 - 14:28.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:17

If you want to prevent the VC redist from rebooting the machine, you need to find out the required command line paranmeter for the VC redist package and specify that in your prerequisite when launching the executable.

If you want to let the reboot happen and then continue the installation, select "exit and resume" on the Behavior tab.

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:53

thanks Stefan.actually it was host issue but I had hands on prerequisites stuff.

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:41

hi friends,

I came back with same issue but in different OS environment, I request you to read with patience.

long back I had this issue when one of customer reported that host is getting rebooted without any warning message just after VC12 install and just before install of main installer. Yesterday another customer reported the same issue with same version of my app on windows 2008 R2 SP1 KOREAN OS. Event logs say that msvcr110.dll and msvcp110.dll are locked by "WmiPrvSE", it is not our application process/service. it is pure windows one, I need your suggestions and have few doubts could you please clarify.

from event logs:
The file C:\Windows\system32\msvcr110.dll is being used by the following process: Name: WmiPrvSE , Id 7996.
Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x64 Minimum Runtime - 11.0.51106.
The file C:\Windows\system32\msvcp110.dll is being used by the following process: Name: WmiPrvSE , Id 7996

1. I think on host already same version "VC2012-11.0.51106 of Korean" VC redistri files are installed with some GUID, and they are having files with the file names msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll, when my application is triggered, VC redistri install checks for the GUID and I think GUID of ENGLISH and KOREAN are different, my application has ENGLISH VC2012 redisti , so forcefully trying to overwrite Korean VC redistri files since file name are same,and at the same time Korean VC2012 files are being used by WmiPrvSE process so finally ending up with forceful reboot, IS MY GUESS COREECT?
3. we have already released our application and now we can not fix this provide new application in quick time, it can be fixed in next release only so now I need to give work around for this issue to customer, can you please suggest me any work around.
4. in next release, i am planning to display the message for reboot after main install completes. my current setting is " 'If the prerequisite appears to need a reboot:' to :"Note it, fail to resume if the machine is rebooted, and reboot after the installation." i think this is correct setting DO I NEED TO CHANGE THIS, please suggest me.
5. under the "applications to run", I have not mentioned error codes and left this place empty, is it mandatory, is this the reason host is getting rebooted without asking for reboot confirmation?

your suggestions are greatly appreciable 
gmpk.

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:15

hi folks,

i found the solution to this issue and resolved it. All these days i am checking GUID part of VC2012 redistri package. I changed the logic to check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\VC\Runtimes\x64 key.