This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Reboot Dialog Box in ISWI v2.0

2 replies to this topic

PGreenfield

PGreenfield
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2001 - 18:30

Is there any way to have a (pre-defined) dialog box appear just before the reboot after Windows Installer is installed on Win9x/NT machines?  Currently my application will install Windows Installer (if needed) and then suddenly close all open applications and then force a reboot without warning.  

Your immediate assistance is appreciated.

Pam

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2001 - 16:39

I don't use ISWI, and our system does not have Win 9x platforms, so I may not be able to help extensively in those areas.  However, if your application is installing Windows Installer, per se, then you are operating in some sort of wrapper application rather than within an MSI package.  In that case, the reboot may well be hard coded into the launching application.  If that is the case, I don't know of a way to trap a reboot and force the display of a custom dialog without re-working the wrapper.

In general, installing Windows Installer on WinNT systems does not seem to require a reboot simply from running InstMsi.exe (the redistributable from the SDK).  I can't say too much about the Win 9x install, since we don't use it in our install base.

About all I can recommend, if you have source code for your wrapper application, is that you take a look at the launching application and see what is causing the reboot.  Then  you can insert a dialog in the wrapper sequence.

If the reboot is being generated *within* an MSI package, then the reason it does not deploy a prompt may be that the REBOOTPROMPT Property is set to Suppress (or just "s").  That will effect any reboot without prompting the user in any way.

Hope that helps.