This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Using transforms with a repair or re-install of a msi package

1 reply to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:55

Hello, 

Let me explain my scenario: 

-I upgrage from V1 to V2 of my product using a major upgrade. 
V1  has an entirely  different upgrade code from V2.  You can think that V2 now supersedes V1 and hence is like a different product family altogether. 

****Neither V1 nor V2 have any transforms embedded within them*** 

-Due to issues with the V2 msi package authoring,  3 files are found to be missing after the upgrade. 

-To fix the issue, i performed a repair of the V2  package. However, the V2 package also has few custom actions conditioned such that these custom actions do not execute during a repair. 
This causes other problems.  I want these custom actions to even execute during a repair. 

Here are my approaches to fix the issue: 

I tried making use of a **newly introduced** transform to alter the authoring in the V2 msi package. 

1)So i thought that i would make use of a transform in the V2  msi package with correct custom action conditions and then repair the  already installed V2 version of the product. 

I made use of the TRANSFORMS  property on the command line used to repair V2. However, as i understand, the  property values are ignored in a repair. 

2)I tried a re-install of the msi package by specifying the following command line: 
msiexec /i <path to the .msi package>  REINSTALL="ALL"  REINSTALLMODE="omus"  TRANSFORMS=<path to the .mst file>

In the log file, the TRANSFORMS property seems to be have been recognized initially. 
MSI © (90:B4) [08:31:01:483]: Command Line: REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus TRANSFORMS=C:\Repair.mst CURRENTDIRECTORY=C:\Users\joeadmin CLIENTUILEVEL=0 CLIENTPROCESSID=5520 

However later on in the log file, the TRANSFORMS property is again ignored as shown below: 

MSI © (90:B4) [08:31:01:493]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting TRANSFORMS property. Its current value is 'C:\Repair.mst'. 
MSI © (90:B4) [08:31:01:493]: TRANSFORMS property is now:

Questions:
-Is it possible to repair a .msi package by making use of a new transform during the repair process? 
-If yes, what would be the effect of doing so when patches are built with this product as the base? 
I would like to understand as to what role would the transform have when it comes to building patches. 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, 
Kiran Hegde 

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:56

Transforms are applied during first time install only. Use a patch instead (which essentially is a special transform and a reinstall). Or apply the transform during the major upgrade (or fix V2 before installing it).