This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Why does unInstall not remove some of my files?

3 replies to this topic

fischerlinden

fischerlinden
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 17:21

Hi all,
I have no clue, why UnInstall does not remove some of my files.

The setup is developed with ISDEV7. Operatingsystem for the test is WinXP SP1a. The testcase is
- install on a "clean" machine - I am using VMWARE smile.gif
- invoke the application and then close it immediately (I just now tested, that this has no effect on the case - the problem is the same if I do not invoke the app.)
- uninstall the software

This results in following previously installed files being left on the system:
- one dll
- fore typelibraries

I have performed the installation and the uninstallation with verbose logging but I cannot see anything unnormal.

I planned to attach the verbose log to this message, but it exceeds 100k even if ZIP'ed sad.gif . I would be glad to provide this logfile by mail to anybody who is willing to help me in that matter. Please give me your email to get in closer contact.
Together with the logfile I will provide the filenames of the not removed files in order to help analyzing the issue.

Best regards,
Jo Fischer

Edited by fischerlinden, 13 January 2004 - 17:24.

Johannes Fischer
Berner & Mattner Systemtechnik GmbH

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 17:34

Can you post the lines related to the file, and the related component? It should indicate that it won't be deleted, and hopefully why.

fischerlinden

fischerlinden
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:33

Thanks Stefan,
meanwhile I found the reason (sometimes it helps sleeping over it):

The files in question are installed several times - by my own setup and by merge modules I have included. This seems to make problems with reference counting.

I'll modify the mergemodules and exclude those files there.

Thanks for you interest again!
Jo
Johannes Fischer
Berner & Mattner Systemtechnik GmbH

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:17

A single file should not be included in more than one component. That's one important MSI rule. You could put the file in a merge module, and add that module to any features that need to install the file.