This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DLL Files will not copy to System32 folder

8 replies to this topic

Barlow

Barlow
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 16:10

I have an installer made that has a buch of DLLs included. These DLL's get copied to the system32 folder <WINSYSDIR> when the application installs. When I install my application on one computer it works fine, when I install it on another computer the DLL files will not copy into the system32 folder. I have administrator rights on both machines. Has anyone encountered this before? Do you have any suggestion on how to fix this? I assume its a problem with the computer and not my Installer. Any suggestions would be greatly appricated.

Thanks

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 16:21

on what OS do you have this problem?
do these dlls overwrite system dlls?
is windows' system dll recovery active? maybe these files are copied and instantly replaced by the ones in a BACKUP directory?

Gruß / regards
Thomas

Barlow

Barlow
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 21:15

The OS is Windows 2000.
Im not sure if any system dlls are being overwritten. I know that some of the DLL's are for crystal reports, and those DLL are not being installed. There is an older version of the crystal dll in the directory but it stays there after the install.
I'm not sure what the 'windows system dll recovery' is. Can you explain where to turn this on/off?

Thanks for the input.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 14:54

hi Barlow!

sorry, i cannot tell you where to turn off the recovery of system dlls.

do you copy the dlls (using XCopyFile) or are they installed from the cab file?

can you debug to the function, where the copy tales place?
can you see whether they are copied and replaced afterwards or not even copied?
what error message or LAST_RESULT do you get?
Gruß / regards
Thomas

Barlow

Barlow
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 14:45

Im new to install shield and I never created this install file. I do have access to the computer that created it so I can check settings. How do I tell if we use XcopyFile. I can not debug the function because I do not have access to a comuter where the install fails. I just know it fails and the DLL files are not there. I am trying to change administrator settings on my computer to see if I can get the install to fail but I have had no luck yet.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:08

look into the setup.rul file for XCopyFile() appearance.
look into the project settings, if the dlls are packed into a component. is this component active and processed by ComponentMoveData()?

Gruß / regards
Thomas

Barlow

Barlow
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:45

Hi,
Sorry it took so long to reply. I could not find XCopyFile() in the Setup.rul file. The DLLs are packed into a component but I could not find any reference to ComponentMoveData(). I also didn't know where to look.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 16:43

are you sure, you are using IS prof. 5.x ???

Gruß / regards
Thomas

Barlow

Barlow
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 18:42

Yes I am using version 5.53.