This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrades

5 replies to this topic

sylvaing

sylvaing
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 16:47

I am using InstallScript MSI - InstallShield Developer 8

My install is created to support two languages, placed in differents components, i.e:

Feature: Firewall
Components: Firewall_rules_EN, Firewall_rules_FR

When i package the install, i produce two setup.exe, one for the english installation, and one for the french installation.

My problem is that i need to be able to install the english package, and update the installation using the french package. Both package are using the same product code, upgrade code and product version.

Doing that, i receive this error message when running the french package:
Error: -1638 Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove.......

Is my problem is caused by the fact that i try to install a "new" component when updating ?

Thanks for your help,
Sylvain

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 15:38

It looks like you are doing a minor update (i.e. didn't change product code) but are not setting REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL properties on the command line.

sylvaing

sylvaing
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 16:46

I did not post my message in the good forum, i use InstallScrip MSI project.
The upgrade that i want to do is a minor upgrade ( only the package code is different ). I also use the InstallShield launcher, users will launched installtion by clicking on setup.exe, how can i set the property REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL in that case ?

Thanks
Sylvain

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 21:18

moving question to correct forum

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 21:26

In later InstallShield versions the setup.exe can do this automatically - not sure about Dev 8 or 8.01.

Otherwise you can do it as described in article "Upgrading Without Patching" at http://www.installsi...msi/updates.htm

sylvaing

sylvaing
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 21:01

Great, Thanks Stefan.

Sylvain