This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Tidy up temp files

1 reply to this topic

TonyLowrey

TonyLowrey
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:21

This is a general question about files used during install but not actually installed, such as custom action dlls, exe, config files etc.

I have a custom action .exe which I run OK to help install my files which are converted from temporary files which have to be copied to the target system during install. However, they always gets left behind either in tempdir or, when using IS Support Files feature, in SUPPORTDIR. I thought that IS support files were removed at the end of the installation but they loiter unnervingly.

Do I have to write a custom action to delete temporary files used during the install or is there a built-in mechanism to do this?

I guess another question is what is the standard MSI way (non IS, ie. not using SupportFiles feature) to install these temporary files for use during the installation only and which are removed at the end. My searches so far have not produced any ideas. If I include the files in a standard component then the assumption is they are being installed and should remain at the end of the install.

SeanH

SeanH
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 22:51

The files in supportdir SHOULD be cleaned up. If you look in the Custom Actions view and right click, you can choose Show All Custom Actions. You should see an action like ISSupportFilesCleanup, or similar. Check where that is scheduled. Is it possible you still have the files open?

Also, you do not have to cleanup temporary files windows installer creates during install, only ones you have added, i.e. in custom actions. The proper way to do this would be in a commit custom action.