This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Need help on support files

4 replies to this topic

lsrao

lsrao
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:04

Hi All,
Can anybody help me to do the following task,
my requirement is to build the setup without any supportfiles(according to my project "ear" files to be deploy in the server) but at the run time download the required files(EARs) from another system and deploy in to the local system.can any body help me how to fulfill the above requirement.

I am using Installshield12 - BasicMsiProject.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Srinivas

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:55

I am afraid it is not clear to me from your description what you want to achieve? Have you checked out ClickOnce btw?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClickOnce
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

lsrao

lsrao
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:29

Hi Glytzhkof,

My requirement is..

I have to download some ear files remotely and deploy that ear files in to the local system using Installshield.

I have created one setup using installshield12 , in that i have inserted all the required ear files in to the Support files->disk1 ,and i have created custom action for deploy ear files in to the local system(server).
It is working fine.

Now my requirement is
when ever click the setup.exe download ear by ear from remote system and deploy that ear in to the local system.

how can i add support files at run time using installscript that files have to be deployed in to the local system.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks&Regards
Srinivas

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:48

I am not 100% sure about this, Stefan can probably tell you for sure. However, it is my understanding that support files are compiled into the setup.exe at compile time. Hence it is unlikely that you will be able to dynamically replace these files later on.

You may be able to use the Installshield automation engine to dynamically create a new setup.exe with new support files however.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:08

Hi,

if you want to dynamically download file from a server you could use the InstallScript (no MSI) project type and maybe call the CopyFile function.

For an MSI solution build a downloadable release. This will create multiple CAB files. At install time, only those CAB files that match the features that the user selected will be downloaded. But you can't dynmaically replace these files on your web server, because their size and order is recoreded in the .msi file.