This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall "crashes" the computer, help please...

3 replies to this topic

slescure

slescure
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:48

I have a merge module that, when uninstalled from the computer, prevents me to restart it!!! I mean, when the PC is rebooting and that Windows begins to boot, Windows (XP / 2000) crashes with a message saying INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. This occurs before the login procedure. The only solution is to boot the PC in failure mode (F8) with the last known correct configuration.

I am unable to identify what is wrong, but it is certain that the problem comes from uninstalling my software... Anyone already got this kind of problem? Anyone can lead me to a clue?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:39

Maybe you are removing some system files? Are you sure it is the merge module? (try without)
Did you create this merge module yourself, or is it a Microsoft module?

slescure

slescure
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 13:50

OK, solved the problem of crash. It had nothing to do with SP6, but with some registry entry (Services) that was marked as removed when uninstall by InstallShield...

Anyway, do you know any plan of Microsoft/Installshield to provide fixed Visual Studio SP6 merge modules?

Thanks,

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 14:34

InstallShield cannot fix them (Microsoft doesn't allow redistribution of modified merge modules).
I think that Microsoft is aware of the problem but didn't indicate if or when they will fix it. You may want to contact Microsoft support.